Before we head up to the archive next week, we’re going to introduce ways of thinking about data. Questions to ask when you start looking at your sources:
- Is my data structured or unstructured?
- If it’s unstructured, can it be structured?
- Is my data primarily spatial, textual, or numeric?
Links for use in class today:
- Today’s notes
- Valley of the Shadow
- MentionMapp (sign in with your twitter account, or use the login provided in class if you don’t have an account)
- Sample twitter corpus for use in Voyant
- Map of the State Normal School class of 1845
Suggested stopword additions for Voyant: